Humanitarian Immigration

icon image of two hands holding up 3 people

Adelante Legal assists clients who are survivors of harm apply for immigration status, including asylum, U or T visas, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, or VAWA-based residency applications.

There are visas available for certain victims of criminal activity that allow applicants to obtain legal immigration status and residency in the United States if they report the crime and help law enforcement with the investigation and/or prosecution of the crime. The visas include: U visas (visas for Victims of Qualifying Criminal Activity) and T visas (visas for Victims of Human Trafficking).

There are also visas available for individuals who were abused by a family member (spouse, parent, or child) who is a US citizen or green card holder. They may apply on their own for immigration status under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), without needing to report the crime to law enforcement or relying on their abusive family member to file a petition for them.

Carly Stadum-Liang has assisted many clients in successfully applying for U, T, and VAWA visas. She understands how difficult it is for clients to revisit the abuse they endured, and takes the time to help clients write down their stories in their own words. She also helps clients work with law enforcement to obtain proof that they helped law enforcement and compiles all the necessary documents to file with USCIS.

If the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) decides a person is not a priority for a removal because they are not a danger to society, DHS can grant that person “deferred action,” allowing them to work in the United States and be protected from removal.

DHS also has a program that grants deferred action to young immigrants who came to the United States as children and have no legal immigration status, this program is called “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals” or “DACA.”

Adelante Legal has helped many Dreamers obtain DACA by helping first-time applicants to apply for DACA and also helping current DACA-holders apply for DACA renewals.

If you have come to the United States fleeing persecution or fear future persecution in your home country, you may be eligible for asylum or other related defenses. Carly Stadum-Liang, the Managing Attorney at Adelante Legal, meets with clients to determine if they are eligible for asylum or other related defenses. Schedule an Intake to see if you are eligible for asylum.

Carly has years of experience representing asylum seekers from all over the world. Her clients have included political opposition members, anti-Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) activists, FGM survivors, student union leaders, domestic violence survivors, individuals persecuted because of their sexual orientation, humanitarian aid providers, and members of minority ethnic groups. She helps clients gather in-depth documentary evidence, compiles human rights reports, locates country conditions experts, prepares a written legal argument explaining clients’ eligibility, and prepares clients for their asylum interview or hearing.

Schedule an Intake
Text Adelante Legal

I know Carly Stadum-Liang since early 2012 after my Asylum case had been denied from immigration. As my lawyer, she worked very hard until final day of my asylum case had been granted. She still worked hard to make sure and approve my family’s documents and to get all rights. During years 2012 to 2014 until my family safely move to the U.S she contacted to USCIS office in America, US embassies in other countries too. Miss Carly also helped me to file my Green Card and received on time. Miss Carly as a young lawyer has excellent knowledge of immigration cases, she is hard worker, helpful and well-wisher of all.

~ O.S.